Sunday, July 6, 2008

Warnemunde Week-Day 2

Wow, did I have an off day today! A 26th in the first race and a 10th in the second, was the damage at the end of the day, and I have dropped to 3rd overall. There are two more days of racing to go, and hopefully I can use the remaining four races to move back into the lead.

Race 1-I had a great start just down from the pin. I punched out, and started playing the threatening groups up the beat, to be sitting in the leading group after about 15 minutes of upwind with another 5 to go. Then the little wind we shut down, and a wind line filled in from the right hand side. I had no wind, so I couldnt cut my losses and get over there. About 25 boats sailed around me. Unfortunately, the race was shortened to the first downwind so there wasnt much time to catch back up.

Race 2-I had an okay start start down about 100m down from the boat end. I was doing ok, and still in touch with the lead bunch, but for the last hundred or so meters, I just got dumped on by another sailor. Not to sure who he was, or what his aim was in doing so, but we lost substantial distance on the lead group-too much to regain. There was a large shift on the first reach, and after that it was game over as the next beat was one tack, and the rest of the race was a reach.

Hopefully tomorrow will treat me better. Surprisingly, I am quite pleased to have a day like today as I learnt so much.

No comments: