Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Kiel Week Final Report

Kiel Week finished a couple of days ago, and I ended up 3rd overall. My medal race was less then desired, as I received a yellow flag for coming out of my tack to quickly up the first work. I was quite surprised at the call, to say the least, but managed to catch up to Rasmus Mrygren of Sweden on the last lap to hold onto third place.

Overall, it was quite a good event for me. I had a few silly mistakes, like missing the start of one race, but feel that my speed, tactics/strategy, and boathandling are close to where they need to be for the Olympics. It looks like everyone is getting close to their China weight now, and it is quite easy to tell who has lost weight properly and who hasn't, as there are several top sailors who have taken quite a hit to their upwind speed in breeze. Ultimately, we will see who made the correct call in China, but I certainly wouldnt want to create a weakness in one area for a small gain in another.

I am now training in Warnemunde, Germany for the next event. My focus right now is on my land training, to maintain my weight and improve my fitness.

No comments: