Sunday, July 27, 2008

Laser Europeans Wrap Up and Games Thoughts

The Europeans finished up about a week ago, and as usual, I figured that I should write my delayed post regarding the event.

Overall, I was quite pleased with how the event went, and ended up 8th overall. I stumbled a bit on the last day of actual racing(last scheduled day was called off), with a 17, BFD.. The conditions in Belgium were not the expected conditions to be seen in China, but still presented many scenarios that could occur at the games. Like China, there was plenty of current, which challenged many sailors coming off the start line, or getting around the weather mark. It was also nice to practice in a bit of breeze, as there is a good possibility that we will see at least one day of racing in 15+ knots in Qingdao (going off the previous two test events).

I've found the last couple of months pretty amusing watching everyone starve themselves down to China weight. They might be laughing last, but at this stage, I am very happy that I am heading to the games feeling confident in every condition, and not having to pray for one wind strength or another. My coach and I have stopped believing the weight that people have said they are, and have made up another method of testing peoples weight- how soon their feet hit the hiking strap. I suspect a few a sailors in the fleet have amended their 'official' weight to try throw people off.

As the games have been approaching, I've been reflecting on my past seasons in Europe and what it is going to be like racing in China. I was quite amused the other day when juxtaposing my expectations during my first trip to Europe in 2003 to my present expectations, as back then I would have been happy to finish in the top ten at a major grade one once in my career, whereas this season, if I have been out of the top 5 it has been a tough event for me. However, heading into China, I know that a top 5 or even 10 is going to be a difficult result to attain, as there are so many good sailors racing there. At the start of the season, I thought that the defining factor at the games will be psychological, and throughout the season, it has only been re-enforced. I think the quest for the Qingdao 'magic potion' has been in vain, and in the end, it will come down to performing the fundamentals consistently well.

I head off to Qingdao in six days time, and am really excited about going there, and racing. I am sure at the conclusion of the games, I will look back and realize the mistakes I made in my preparation, but going into the Olympics, I am very pleased with my program over the last 6 months. It is absolutely frightening to think that the games are almost here, and to say that I am nervous is a bit of an understatement.

2 comments:

Mike said...

dude, your blog is way better and more from the heart than andrew campbell's. you seem loose and relaxed for the games...
even though im an american i'll be rooting for ya.
good luck, sail fast

Fraser_Laser said...

i've been following your sailing at the games and even though u might not get this untill you're done the games...
lots of great sailors you're up against but as one of those great sailors... i'm sure you'll do ... great ! (for lack of a better word)
good luck !