Monday, December 29, 2008

Sail Melbourne Report

Sail Melbourne concluded just over a week ago, and I ended up fourth. It was a disappointing result for me. My lack of training was alarming evident at times, which created areas of weakness that need to be addressed in the coming weeks as I prepare for Miami Olympic Classes Regatta. It doesn't feel like my weaknesses are glaring, just a product of taking a substantial break from laser sailing since the games, and hopefully can be rectified quickly.

It always amazes me how the subtleties of laser sailing compound to make such a dramatic impact on your overall performance. Being one second late starting your acceleration can mean the difference between 1st and your drop race. So now it is time to get back on the water spending a substantial amount of time doing incredibly repetitive training focusing slow speed maneuvers, and practicing tack and cross drills.