Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sail Melbourne Day 4

Day 4-Sail Melbourne-Ground hog day again. The breeze started out around ten knots when we arrived at the club. Once we got on the water, we could feel the breeze starting to kick, and by the time the first race was started, the breeze was between 14-16 knots.

After several general recalls, the first gold fleet race finally got off under a black flag. I lost sight of my transit early on in the sequence, but fortunately was hidden between a bulge a bit below and above-both groups having sailors called OCS. I developed a pretty good lane, and headed out towards the left towards some pressure. I eventually tacked under and ahead of the group coming back from the left, and managed to get around the windard mark in around 5th-having a few boats from the right coming in ahead. I didn't seem to have my normal pace today, and got engulfed by the pack behind, ending up 7th in the race.

Race two was a similar story with a bit more breeze: a few generals followed by heading out left up the first work. I unfortunately got pinned by another sailor a bit further left then I would have liked, and rounded the top in about 6th. Again, my pace downwind was really off-normally the runs are my bread and butter. I got passed by 2-3 boats a run, and capsized on the second downwind, finishing a lackluster 13th.

With one more day of Gold fleet racing, it looks like it will be a bit of a battle for the prized medal race spots. At the moment, I am in tenth overall, 8 points ahead of 15th, and 5 points away from 5th. The forecast is calling for more of the same: 20-25 knots, but this time from the east.

All for now,
Mike

No comments: